Eredan iTCG BrasileiroEredan iTCG DeutschEredan iTCG EspañolEredan iTCG ItalianoEredan iTCG FrançaisEredan iTCG English
Nous sommes actuellement le 28 Mars 2024, 22:12
Publier une réponse Page 1 sur 2   [ 13 message(s) ]
Aller vers la page 1, 2  Suivant
Auteur Message
Message Publié : 17 Novembre 2013, 12:29 
Guémélite

Message(s) : 238
Since there is no Forum for Eredan Arena, I thought I'd create this thread.

I've tried it - still playing now and then - but I have one major gripe with it : RNG has TOO much impact on the outcome of fights.
It's cool to have a degree of luck involved in games, but it can't be too strong or it becomes frustrating.

Currently, here is how the game works:
You must select 5 Heroes
There are 4 Dice: Action (Red - R); Theurgy (Yellow - Y); Spell (Blue - B); Attack (Sword - A)
Each Hero has a Strength, which determines the damage dealt by your Attacks.
Each Hero also has 1 Skill per Level (Level 3 Heroes have 3 Skills).
Each Skill requires Dice to activate.
Dice are not "consumed", they are "checked" by each Skill individually.
Example: Two skills - #1 (R+B) & #2 (R+B+B).
If you have RRRBBB, you will activate 3x #1 and 1x #2
If you have RRBBBB, you will activate 2x #1 and 2x #2.

EDIT (info provided by Zurga)
Each Dice has 6 sides, 2x Attack, 2x Red, 1x Blue and 1x Yellow
This means each Dice has 1/3 chance to roll Attack, 1/3 chance for Red, 1/6 for Blue and 1/6 for Yellow.

Combat Steps
Step #1 - Attacker picks a Hero
Step #2 - Defender picks a Hero
Step #3 - Both players get 6 random dice.
Step #4 - Both players can then choose which dice to keep, and which dice to roll.
Step #5 - Both players can once again choose which dice to keep, and which dice to roll.
Step #6 - Combat begins, with each Hero taking turns activating skills and then attacking, like so:
- Attacker Skill #1
- Defender Skill #1
- Attacker Skill #2
- Defender Skill #2
- Attacker Skill #3
- Defender Skill #3
- Attacker Skill Attacks
- Defender Skill Attacks

Being able to Keep dice surely helps replace a little bit of randomness with some strategy, but no matter what you do, you must pray to RNGesus.
- You can get ALL the perfect dice at the first roll.
- You can FAIL to get ANY Dice of the desired color 3 times in a row (and that's 18 failed Dice rolls)

[My Suggestions]
#1 - This is arguable, but for Heroes who cannot use a particular symbol/color, wouldn't it be fair to automatically "disable" it?
It feels very unfair when a hero only uses Yellow and Blue (like Ylliana) and you get a bunch of Red...
This might not be necessary if #2 is implemented

#2a - After each Roll, on top of the ability to keep desired Dice, you can also "disable" one symbol/color (can only disable 1 symbol/color after each roll, for a total of 2 disabled symbol/color), so that you become unable to get it on the next rolls.
Example (Notation: R=Red;B=Blue;Y=Yellow;A=Attack):
Imagine you want 2xR + 1xY and then either 3xA; 2xA + 1xB; or 1xA + 2xB
Assuming you get this First Roll...
RYR
YAR
...you want to keep the underlined symbol/colors, and since you want another A and/or a B, you should "disable" R or Y to increase the odds of getting A and B.
Next roll, if you don't get your desired combination, you can lock another of the unwanted symbol/colors further increasing the odds of getting what you want.

#2b (with Zurga's input)
As Zurga indicated that it is intentional for Blue and Yellow to be harder to get, I present a slightly tweak to my suggestion.
Instead of being able to disable a whole symbol/color after each Roll, the Dice sides are displayed somewhere on screen...
A A
R R
B Y
...and you can disable ONE of them.
Example:
Assuming you disable a Red after the first roll...
A A
R X
B Y
..now you have 2/5 to get Attack, 1/5 to get Red, 1/5 to get Blue and 1/5 to get Yellow.
If you ban Red again after the second roll...
A A
X X
B Y
...now you have 2/4 to get Attack, 1/4 to get Blue and 1/4 to get Yellow.

This preserves even more Luck in the game, while giving a decent degree of defense against extreme bad luck.

I really hope the developer of that game reads this.
---

Please share your thoughts on the game.

Dernière édition par Nurvus le 18 Novembre 2013, 19:23, édité 5 fois.

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 17 Novembre 2013, 14:24 
Eminence

Message(s) : 1106
did you understand how the game works?
You're supposed to roll dices. Each of them has 6 possibility. You can't just get rid of one of the sides of a dice.... --'

Random is part of this game...

If you have a character relying only on yellow or blue; it's a bad character since those are the rare symbols.(only 1 in 6 chance to draw one for 1 in 3 for both red and black...) If you NEED to draw the rare dice, the basic strategy is to keep rolling ALL the dice until you get either yellow or blue... (depending on what you want...) blocking a dice with a red or black dice on the first draw is fairly stupid since they appear twice as much... (unless you draw the perfect combinaison on your first draw of course... ^^)

What you propose is just another game...
Try and get the best possibile dice combinaison is just how good you play.. Of course there is a bit of luck, but most of the time, when you select the good dices, you get almost what you want (except for those characer relying mainly on rare dice, which are just based on luck...)

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 17 Novembre 2013, 15:27 
Guémélite

Your assumption that I don't know how the game works has led you to misunderstand my whole suggestion.

EDIT: I've updated my original post to become clearer, while also explaining exactly how the game works.

I am saying that the game is super random DESPITE the 3 rolls - because the rolls are ultimately random anyway. Have you ever gotten 5 attacks + 1 yellow on a low strength hero that uses blue+red?

The current state of the game causes randomness to always beat strategy, and that's ultimately a frustrating and boring mechanic.

I don't want to change the current 3 rolls - I'm suggesting an ADDITIONAL mechanic.
After each roll, on top of being able "keep" wanted dice, you would ALSO be able to "disable" 1 symbol/color that you don't want to roll anymore.

The game would be the same, and it would still require strategy, a small amount of luck, etc.

Here's a simple question that explains the current problem in the game:
How are you supposed to play with a Hero that only benefits from Blue and Yellow (like Ylliana), if you keep getting Red and Attack?

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 17 Novembre 2013, 16:58 
Eminence

Message(s) : 1106
No it would not be the same because you could block up to 1/3rd of the possibility giving you almost always either blue or yellow when desired...

Rolling 3 times the dice almost always gives you either one yellow and one blue (if not more...) You have to play knowing that you can have a bad combination and not draw any.

To limit those bad draws is the best strategy. This comes by having characters able to blast with red (while giving effect with special dice.) And not by having characters relying ONLY on yellow+blue ability. (anryena, marzhin, asajiro...)
karkasse may look good but he is just a random character since he is worthless without yellow.
brutus, in the other hand, looks weak but is always able to make the best combinaison (2 reds 4 black...) making him really stable and in fact one of the best counter characters...

Yellow+blue capacity are the strongest making them more common would completely change how the game was designed...

To answer your question. You don't play with yiliana if you want your deck to look competitive. First because even with her best combinaison she is quite weak, second because her ability does require too many rare dice...

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 17 Novembre 2013, 21:11 
Guémélite

I know that the goal is trying to limit the strategy.

But the strategy is blown to bits for many different characters.

For example, any ramping mechanic (specially rage which gives +strength whenever you deal damage) penalizes bad luck more than most.

What I am suggesting indeed helps -> but does not guarantee -> getting a reasonable combo.

Beating enemy through strategy and skill (anticipating the combo he is trying to use, using the correct Hero against him, deciding whether to go all damage or try to buff your other characters, etc) is ALOT better than winning out of sheer luck.

There are some forgiving characters, but most characters are completely screwed if you miss 2 dice.

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 18 Novembre 2013, 12:07 
Immortel

Message(s) : 3537
The game is designed and balanced with luck.
Changing luck is just a non-sense for this game.
Note that the dices have 6 faces with 2 swords, 2 red, 1 blue and 1 yellow.
This is intended.
You use a character that requires blue and yellow, you have to live with the bad luck.

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 18 Novembre 2013, 19:01 
Guémélite

Thanks alot for the reply and specially the information on the 6-sides of the Dice.

But I disagree that changing luck is nonsense.
Or rather, I think you are exaggerating the effect my suggestion would have on the Luck factor of the game.

I like luck in games.
I just hate it when Luck is the biggest or even the sole reason you win or lose - THEN it is nonsense.

I'm not suggesting to remove luck - merely reducing the extreme negative side of it.
---

I had already suspected there was something funky with Red and Attack since they seemed to be alot more common.

But it doesn't take much thinking to realize that when you have characters that require 2 yellow or 2 blue for certain skills, it is ridiculous.

According to you, you have 1/6 chance per dice to get blue or yellow.
Even if you go and think "since yellow and blue are harder, I'll just roll everything again since it's almost guaranteed to get red/attack anyway" - you can still get nothing. 6 x 1/6 chance can give you 1 in average.
Assuming you keep it, now you roll 5*1/6, giving you 0.8(3) in average.
Assuming you get one, and keep it, now you roll 4*1/6, giving you 0.6(7) in average.

Even if it's intended and works fine in theory - you must realize it is extremely common to get 1 or NO yellow/blue on first roll and second rolls.
---

Nonetheless, my suggestion can be tweaked to accomodate the "intention" to have yellow and blue harder to get.

Instead of being able to "disable" a WHOLE color/symbol, you can disable one side of the dice.
The dice would display its sides like:
A A
R R
Y B

And after each roll, you can keep the dice you want, and also disable ONE side of the dice.
So if you disable one R, you still have 1/5 to get red.

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 18 Novembre 2013, 19:34 
Immortel

Eredan arena is just a Luck game.
It's exactly like Risk, you can ruin all your strategy with no good dice at correct time.
Reducing luck as you suggest is just changing the balance of the game.

For the dices :
http://www.eredan-arena.com/faq/index.p ... artlang=fr

Yes, I know, no English translation of this Wiki/FAQ...

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 18 Novembre 2013, 19:56 
Guémélite

Well keeping it as a such a heavy Luck game just appeals to "gamblers" and "collectors" while making it less appealing to nearly all other kinds of players.

You're telling players:
This game has all this strategy to it, with combos and advantages/disadvantages, but in reality all that matters is luck.

It feels like you're throwing your own work away.

Hors-ligne Profil  

Message Publié : 19 Novembre 2013, 14:10 
Immortel

It depends the type of players you target.

Hors-ligne Profil  

Publier une réponse Page 1 sur 2   [ 13 message(s) ]
Aller vers la page 1, 2  Suivant